Kootenay River Canoeing Trip
Next expedition dates August 11-17, 2020.
With its awe-inspiring scenery and endless, delightful whitewater, this gem of a river rivals any remote wilderness river of the Far North. This trip has intermediate-level paddlers starting deep within the heart of the Rocky Mountains, as they trace the flanks of the rugged peaks, enjoying 6 days on the glacial blue Kootenay river waters. Fascinating geological features accent each bend, creating stunning views and playful rapids ranging from class 1-3. Our relaxed itinerary allows for time to play in the cool waters and explore the magical side trails in this corridor.
This guided expedition comes with a 10% savings on a 2-day whitewater canoeing course at Elements Adventure Co.s paddling school on the Shuswap River near Vernon, BC.
Duration: 6 days on the river Max Participants: 11 participants
Dates: Aug 11 – 17, 2020
Cost: $1950 + GST. Early-bird pricing ends March. 11 (save $200)
BONUS: Receive a 10% discount on a 2-day river-canoeing course taught by a certified Paddle Canada and/or RCABC instructor in advance of the expedition. Discount applies to tuition and rentals.
How is this expedition unique?
Often referred to as the ‘affordable Nahanni’, the Kootenay can offer stunning scenery and world-class canoeing, at a fraction of the time and money investment of a Northern wilderness trip. We offer intermediate-level paddlers the chance to hone their whitewater skills in a safe setting, a chance to connect with other adventurous people, and truly experience a trip of a lifetime. Its location means we only spend 6 hours driving to our put-in from Vernon, BC.
Who is this trip for?
- “I want to use my intermediate-level canoeing skills to paddle some moderately challenging whitewater to improve my skills and experience in a safe setting.”
- “I enjoy adventuring with new people and working as a team”.
- “I’m looking for an adventure that gives me the space to connect with myself, the people on the trip, and to the natural world around me.”
Skill Level Required – level II (intermediate)
Participants have experience canoeing on intermediate rivers and are confident adventuring in the outdoors. They are familiar with basic canoeing strokes and manouvres, have taken a river paddling course, and are comfortable around/on/in moving water. Participants can expect to build on skills and experience in new and challenging conditions under the leadership of their guides. Participants should be fit and capable of carrying their canoe and gear over rough terrain.
What will we be doing (other than paddling)?
- hiking, fishing, snoozing, reading
- learning about local botany, geology, ecology
- learning river canoeing skills such as scouting rapids, group management, choosing safe lines through rapids, making safe decisions, and more
- stopping to play in a safe rapid
- evening circle (debrief the day, review plan for tomorrow)
- there will most likely be some singing……
- there will most definitely be cooking and eating delicious food!
Included in Price:
- Guiding and safety
- Canoeing instruction as required
- All food and meal planning (cooking is a shared effort) for the 6 days on the river
- Transportation from Vernon BC to the river and back – including the shuttle
- Park entry fees
- 1-night accommodation and dinner at Kootenay Park Lodge (the night before the trip)
- Camping fees
- High-quality paddling equipment: canoe, paddle, PFD, helmet, wetsuit, large dry-bag or barrel, small dry-bag, safety equipment
- BONUS: 10% tuition and rental discount on a 2-day river-canoeing course near Vernon BC, taught by a certified instructor. We offer this feature to support you to brush up on your canoeing skills before the big trip.
Not included in the price:
- Front-country meals (on the road) – Day 1 breakfast, lunch, Day 2 breakfast, Day 7 dinner.
- Park Entry Fee if you want to bring your personal vehicle
- Cooking and cleanup – we all take our turn helping the guides, so please expect to help out on 1 day of the whole trip.
- Personal camping gear, tent, sleeping bag, thermarest – available to rent if you don’t have your own.
- Minimum age 18, or with guide’s consent
- Maximum 11 participants
- Early-bird pricing available before March 11, 2020 – save $200
- Early-bird pricing is always available for bookings of 3 or more participants
- To help you prepare, you will be issued a detailed trip package upon receiving your registration.
- A $500 deposit is required to hold your reservation. The balance is due 90 days prior to departure, after which time, no refund will be available. Refunds can be issued up to 90 days prior to the trip date but a $200 cancellation fee will be deducted. Special considerations may be made for medical conditions.