Wilderness Circus, Yoga, and Canoe Camp 2018
June 29 – July 4 Ages 14-17
$499 + 5% GST
A Digital Detox for your teen! This week-long series of day-camps is packed with adventure, real connection, and fun! See your teen blossom in the absence of their cell phone or other media.
Day camps run 8am to 5pm each day. Tuesday night is an overnight canoe trip!
Activities include lake and river canoeing, rescue skills, outdoor living skills, wildcrafting, orienteering, yoga, partner acrobatics, theater skills, juggling, and a lot more!
$100 late registration fee will be added after April 29
Elements Adventure Company in partnership with Barefoot Sanctuary will again offer this one-of-a-kind summer camp for teens that teaches wilderness canoeing, circus arts, and yoga – amidst the stunning natural beauty of the Shuswap Rivers in British Columbia.
This wilderness camp for 14-17 year-olds is designed to ground the participants in their connection to the earth and to themselves, and build on their natural desire to gather new skills and experiences. To help teens get the most out of this program, there are no cell phones or other media allowed during the camp, and we challenge each student to go on a digital ‘fast’ for the entire week. The 2018 camp will be a series of 4 day-camps followed by an overnight river canoe trip!
Your teen will:
- Experience the excitement and joy of whitewater canoeing while establishing a solid foundation of paddling skills and knowledge. Opportunities to build self-confidence and develop leadership skills abound.
- Discover the power of teamwork through circus arts under professional guidance.
- Re-ignite their appreciation for nature and wilderness while learning outdoor living skills and during a morning yoga practice.
- Mentor with seasoned professional instructors in canoeing, yoga, and circus who focus on safety AND fun!
Alvin Tam, a professional Acrobatic Coach and former Cirque du Soleil Artist – will find fun ways to safely guide us through circus technique (such as individual and partner acrobatics, juggling, and theatrical games) to build strength, flexibility, teamwork, co-ordination and confidence.
Charles Ruechel, director of Elements Adventure Co., a certified Paddle Canada Instructor, and former National Outdoor Leadership School Instructor, will share his skills in wilderness canoeing (lake and river maneuvers, rescue techniques, swimming in rapids, identifying hazards, canoe surfing) and camping to show us how to “comfortably do without” and paddle safely and skillfully on a river.
Jada Tam, Yoga Dance Pioneer, artist, instructor and passionate guide in natural healing, will compliment this active week with an introductory Yoga practice to bring balance and reflection – which will be an important part of integrating this week that is brimming with new experiences.
What we’ll do (other than circus arts, yoga and canoeing):
- orienteering and map reading
- rope work
- take a forest walk with a local expert, learning about indigenous plants and how we can use them, followed by a wildcrafting project at Kingfisher Interpretive Center
- back-country baking – from scratch!
- campfire time, games, stories, discussions
- creative art session
- river rescue training
- swimming, games
- a circus and paddling performance for parents after our final paddle
- transportation from
Vernon, BC, daily
- all paddling and safety gear: boats, paddles, helmets, PFD’s, etc.
- circus and yoga equipment
- a detailed list of what to pack for each student
- guiding, instruction, safety
- Please note – this camp is eligible for the CHILDREN’S FITNESS TAX CREDIT
- personal items
If you have any questions about our Wilderness Circus Yoga Canoe Camp, please contact us here.
Need a great place to stay while attending a course, or in advance of an expedition? Please see our list of highly recommended local accommodations here.