Partners and Resources – More Info on Paddling in the Okanagan
Below are a few other websites with related services, products, or information – some of which are active ‘supporters’ of our business (and vice versa), and some are just great links related to what we do.
- Environment Canada – https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca
This site helps you keep track of water levels on most rivers before you go paddling. Remember, keeping a river-log will help you put this data into context. Download your FREE river-log template here!
Highly Recommended Local Accommodations
Stay min 3 nights in your own secluded valley with views of the Monashee mountains, and a private lake for your enjoyment. Barbara and Joe, your wonderful hosts at Bear Valley Highlands have offered Elements Adventure Co. clients a 10% discount at one of the most unique accommodations around the Okanagan Valley. Cabins, yurt, and a tipi, 45 minutes drive East of Vernon.
Vernon’s Food Hotel
If you need a place to stay that’s central to, well, almost everything in the North Okanagan, we highly recommend Anni’s exceptional Food Hotel. As a professional chef and a host full of character, Anni will delight your taste buds and connect you to all what’s happening around Vernon. Great for families with kids.
The Monashee Hideout
Paradise for paddlers! This AirB&B is run by the welcoming Peter and Renske, and happens to be located exactly at one of the best class 3 sections of the Middle Shuswap River. Talk about a stay and play spot! 40 minutes drive East of Vernon. More information at: The Monashee Hideout
Gear (and Other Goodies)
- Go Trekkers – has excellent quality maps for many popular canoe routes in Canada, complete with portage trails, campsites, and rapids marked.
- Mountain Equipment Co-op Gear Swap – MEC’s online gear swap is our favorite place to buy good quality used gear, from sleeping bags to canoes – at reasonable prices.
- Western Canoe & Kayak – for everything water sports related. These folks have been in the business of making canoes for a LONG time, have a wealth of paddling knowledge, and retail high-quality gear.
- Innerspace Dive and Kayak – Innerspace supports young families to get out paddling with their buy-back program for kids’ PFD’s and life jackets.
- Werner Paddles – has high-quality paddles that make canoeing a pleasure on the hands and shoulders.
- Kokatat – Best value for dry suits and PFD’s. These guys stand behind their stuff!!
- North Water – A fantastic company for all boat outfitting. Their staff is incredibly knowledgeable and gives solid advice.
- Simply Delicious – Now you can travel in the back country AND eat well! This is our go-to gourmet grocer to stock up on high-quality, organic, dried foods for our wilderness expeditions.
Awesome individuals, organizations, or businesses that provide similar services
- Earthquest Outdoor School based in Vernon, BC. For over 30 years, this popular outdoor school has been empowering young adults through wilderness adventure and studying the natural environment. Through integration with the school district, students can learn high school curriculum while participating in the program. Imagine getting high school credit while playing in the Okanagan outdoors!!
- Cedar Bridge School a Waldorf School near Lumby, BC. Cedar Bridge offers a holistic, academic education enriched with the daily rhythms of farm life. Imagine an education for your child that integrates gardening, sustainable farming, and animal husbandry into their Early Childhood and Grade-School programs! Cedar Bridge students learn about the world through their whole beings – hands, heart, and mind – with an academically rich, artistic, and multi cultural program inspired by Waldorf curriculum. Learn more about a Waldorf education.